VA Diversity & Inclusion Advocate Program (VADIAP)
Last updatedShare Print
D&I Advocates assist VA Leadership, employees and Veterans by…
-Creating a VA Culture of Diversity & Inclusion
-Serving as Diversity & Inclusion Champions for their Service
-Building A Strong VA-Wide Special Emphasis Program
-Personal A.C.T.I.O.N (Advocacy, Connections, Training, In-reach, Outreach, Networking)
January 2021, Orlando VA Medical Center
9 successful, 7 in-progress
Awards and Recognition:
Orlando Invested Innovation
- Pamela Black- The Think-Outside-the-Box Mindset which created the VA Diversity and Inclusion Advocate Program Pamela Black "THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX" for Diversity & Inclusion
- Mariel Santana, VA Diversity & Inclusion Advocate Program Igniting the Flame Inside of Employees to Help Create a More Diverse & Inclusive Workplace
Service-level VA Diversity & Inclusion Advocates "Standing Out for D&I" Across Our Healthcare System on Tuesdays and Thursdays each week.
- My Why for D&I by Nadege Jean-Paul explains why D&I Advocates help to positively shape and grow a more diverse and inclusive work culture. My Why for D&I by Nadege Jean-Paul
- Building Trust- Employees have been more receptive to speaking with their peers and sharing concerns with our Special Emphasis Program Managers.
- Employees who are already engaged and passionate about DEI are volunteering to serve as advocates for their work areas.
Does not include Clinical Resource Hubs (CRH)
Diversity Week 2021 In-Reach at the Orlando VA Medical Center
1 month from Implementation of Initial StepsSupervisors nominate one or more employees to serve as collateral duty, service level advocates.Employee completes and returns D&I Advocate application and Polo Shirt Order Form.
2 weeks for TrainingUnconscious Bias TrainingMediation/Conflict Resolution Skills Training
1-2 days for OrientationEEO Office staff provides an overview of the EEO Program and Special Emphasis/Diversity & Inclusion Program; shares advocates roles & responsibilities.Provide D&I Advocate Appointment Letter and contact/engagement checklist.
1 week Ordering of SuppliesOrdering polo shirts, marketing tools (ex. keychains, lanyards, etc.).Distribute the supplies to each advocate once received.
- Emergency care
- LGBTQ+ Veteran care
- Complementary and alternative medicine
- Dental/oral surgery
- Education and training
- Building management
- Nursing services
- Laboratory and pathology
- Human resources
- Occupational health and safety
- Homeless Veteran care
|Resource type||Resource description|
- VADIAP Pitch Slides and files created by Pamela Black, EEO Manager at the Orlando VA Healthcare System VA Diversity & Inclusion Advocate Program Presentation and Implementation Pitch Slides
- Contact to order marketing items, logo design, declaration template, helpful info Helpful Information for Starting Your Own VADIAP
|Resource type||Resource description|
- VADIAP Presentation & SEP Best Practices. Files created by Pamela Black, EEO Manager at the Orlando VA. VADIAP Presentation Slides and Orlando VA Healthcare System SEP Best Practices
Comments and replies are disabled for retired innovations and non-VA users.
Email VHAORLEEODiversity&InclusionOffice@va.gov with questions about this innovation.
The training has been very impressive this week. I would like to participate in the WPB VA adopting the Diversity & Inclusion Advocate Program.
Let me know when you and Team WPB are ready to spread then VADIAP!
Today was the second time I have heard a presentation about this program. I'm so impressed with it and sent a link to my EEO/DEI and SEPM (again). I would love to participate as an employee.
Hi Michelle, Thank you so much for your support and interest in the VADIAP! We'd love to talk with your EEO/DEI Manager and SEPMs to get them involved in adopting the program at your facility. Share this link which has a lot of helpful information so the EEO Manager can understand how he/she/they can adopt their own version of the VADIAP.
This is really great and i would love to participate. Are you able to share any information on how you obtained the funding for the shirts and give aways?
Thank you Donna! We pitched our project at our facility level Shark Tank and used innoVAtion grant funds to get the project started. The implementation process, PowerPoint slide, and Word document with other important information is contained on this page. We appreciate your support. Let us know if you'd like to adopt the VADIAP at your organization.
Great initiative ! Let's spread it nationally!!!
Are you ready to adopt the VADIAP in Miami?
By adopting the VA Diversity & Inclusion Advocate Program, the Orlando VA is helping to create a VA culture of diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility!
Ms. Black, how do I go about joining the innovation team?